Hot-swappable keyboards have gained a lot of popularity since the past few years because of the easy to use features they come with. I mean, they are worth it, right?
A hot-swap keyboard lets you do things that you won’t be able to do with any regular ones. How often have you thought about making a customized keyboard? But I am pretty sure you backed out every time due to the fuss of soldering. Luckily, we have these modern keyboards!
So, what are the best hot swappable keyboards? In this article, I am going to list the top 12finest hot swaps available in the market. Stick through the end to get a thorough review of each model and know about the hot-swappable keyboard as well as how to choose one.
Best Hot Swappable Keyboards:
- Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
- SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- Glorious Modular Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- DIERYA DK61E 60% Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- Drop CTRL Mechanical Keyboard
- MOTOSPEED Professional Gaming Mechanical Keyboard
- Keychron K2 Wireless Bluetooth/USB Wired Gaming Mechanical Keyboard
- Drop ALT Mechanical Keyboard
- ANNE PRO 2, 60% Wired/Wireless Mechanical Keyboard
- LANGTU Membrane Gaming Keyboard
- MOTOSPEED Wired/Wireless 3.0 Mechanical Keyboard
- Vulcan Pro Optical RGB Gaming Keyboard
1. The Best Tenkeyless Gaming Keyboard – TKL Tenkeyless Gaming Keyboard
The first one on our list is a Tenkeyless Gaming Keyboard from the world-famous bestselling hot-swappable keyboard company, Razor. So, when it comes to a product by this manufacturer, you can be assured that it’s bound to be better than the traditional mechanical keyboards available.
While the Linear Optical Switch technology works with optical beam-based actuation, the keys work with the speed of light. Now, whatever game you start playing, you are sure to win every time if you have a fast hand speed.
I don’t think I have to mention anything about the quality. The aluminum construction covered with matte is not the only eye-soothing but also offers great structural integrity. The tenkeyless design that contains a detachable USB-C is a great option for on the go gamers!
- Faster than the regular mechanical keyboards.
- Unique customization and personalization.
- Excellent for on the go users.
- Completely programmable macros.
- You have to open an account in the Synapse software.
2. Best tactile switches – SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Guaranteed for 50 million keypresses, the switches with this keyboard is sure to give you a soft tactile as well as gentle feeling on the hand. The OLED smart display on the model comes with an integrated command center so that you adjust the settings and track apps any way you want.
Designed with Aircraft-grade aluminum alloy, this keyboard is made to offer s lifetime stability. The super-smart RGB illumination allows a variety of unmatched customization with more than 16.8 million colors for each key.
Furthermore, you get a premium quality magnetic wrist rest that offers full pal support to ensure comfort. So, this hot-swappable keyboard PCB is one of the finest available in the keyboard market.
· Stylish and gentle brown switches.
· OLED Smart display.
· Strong and durable design.
· Premium quality magnetic wrist rest.
· It has a wave pattern as default.
3. The Light and Compact One – Glorious Modular Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
This extremely unique and multipurpose keyboard is available in three different sizes (full size, tenkeyless and compact 60%) so that you can use it for both work and gaming.
These models are very light and are designed compactly for easy use. Though the prebuilt version includes Gateron switches, you can buy it barebones in case you don’t want them.
The keyboard consists of strong ABS plastic keycaps that will offer you a long-term service without losing any of the glitters. You will get three-pin to hot-swap sockets with it for easy connectivity.
While the bottom case is made with plastic, the top case is covered with high-quality aluminum that makes the sounds more consistent. In short, this is one of the best mechanical keyboards you can find.
· You get three different sizes to choose from.
· The keyboard has interesting RGB effects.
· You get a detachable cable for TKL and compact
· It includes three-pin hot swaps.
· The full size comes with a non-detachable cable.
4. Best 60% Keyboard – DIERYA DK61E 60% Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
If you are looking for a mechanical keyboard that has the perfect size and gives excellent comfort for both office and home use, the DIERYA DK61E is the best choice. But since it doesn’t have a Numpad, typists and gamers will get an extra advantage.
The keyboard is made with oil-proof ABS keycaps, which also offer wear resistance and hardness while ensuring a smooth typing and gaming performance for you. Moreover, if you want, the hot-swaps can be replaced by optical switches easily.
Furthermore, the keyboard is IPX4 certified, which means you can enjoy any drinks and food while using the keyboard since the circuit board is completely waterproof. You can also swap its switches without needing to desolder.
· It features a 60% compact design.
· Personalized and advanced features.
· Waterproof circuit board.
· Hot-swappable switch options.
· The lights need to be plugged and unplugged every time.
5. The Best Overall Hot Swappable Keyboard– Drop CTRL Mechanical Keyboard
With a pack of 87 keys and a compact Tenkeyless style, the Drop CTRL is a smaller full-size keyboard that has everything you would ever want in a hot swappable keyboard.
The manufacturing quality is excellently solid with its strong aluminum frame. Besides being super strong, the frame can also be used as a built-in switch plate. So, the keyboard is not only hot-swappable but also offers you a huge choice of switches.
Another interesting feature of this keyboard is the diffused light bar wrapped around the casing along with optimized light pipes that give away RGB backlighting. Moreover, it features a super attractive lightbox effect that makes the keycaps glow.
Now, with the QMK firmware, you can program the keys any way you want, including the backlighting allowing you to have full control of your keyboard.
· The model is made with a full Aluminum case.
· You can get it in a variety of colors.
· The exclusive QMK firmware.
· Per-key and Rim lighting
· The keyboard might seem to be a little costly.
6. Best Double Shot Injection Molded Keycaps – MOTOSPEED Professional Gaming Mechanical Keyboard
When the switches are tested for 50 million keystrokes, you are bound to give this one a try. The MOTOSPEED Mechanical keyboard is something made with strong and high-quality material to ensure great longevity.
This illuminated keyboard is capable of handling 14 different types of LED lighting effects. Moreover, the double-shot injection molded keycaps can offer transparent letters and a backlight.
No matter how hard you decide to use the model, it’s strong enough to take anything without a single scratch. The compact, ergonomic design with the 87 space-saving keys makes sure you can get the best out of your work with it.
In short, this cute compact designed keyboard is excellent when you are looking for something strong and durable.
· Available in six different colors.
· High quality and reliable performance.
· Strong compatibility with any kind of device.
· Rainbow LED and Backlight USB.
· The keys are not very quiet unless you like the clicking sound.
7. Best 75% Hot Swappable – Keychron K2 Wireless Bluetooth/USB Wired Gaming Mechanical Keyboard
Besides its favorable ergonomic design, the newly added hot-swappable switches have gotten this keyboard way to the top. This one is totally compatible with any kind of device and will continue to cheer you up with its RGB lightning tirelessly.
Thanks to the aluminum frame, you can level this up easily on the ground. You also get the option to take a wooden wrist rest along with PBT keycaps to get a beautiful setup.
Once you reach the Keychron store, you can choose any features within your preferable budget. So, this 75% layout keyboard is something worth giving a try since it comes with so many excellent and tempting features.
This one can last up to 72 hours tirelessly without any compromise in performance and efficiency.
· RGB backlight compact Bluetooth.
· You can connect up to 3 devices simultaneously.
· Compatible with both Mac and Windows devices.
· Can last up to 72 hours of continuous use or seven days of normal use.
· The Bluetooth connection can be a little slow.
8. Best QMK Firmware – Drop ALT Mechanical Keyboard
Now, the Drop ALT Mechanical Keyboard might seem to be a little expensive at first sight, but once you know about the features it comes with, you will see how worthy this is. With all the advanced software options, all-metal case, amazing quality keycaps, and the bright RGBs, this one is a blast!
You can also add some extra weight to the thing as per your requirements. While you can easily line up your cable to the right or left using the dual USB-C, the exclusive magnetic feet system provides you with both incline and decline options for the angle.
Thanks to the QMK firmware, the keyboard is not only stable but also extremely customizable. You can create macros, remap your keys, or customize anything you want!
· The Aluminum bezels make the model stronger.
· Interesting and attractive RGB lighting.
· Compatible with both Windows and Mac.
· You get five-pin Hot-swappable sockets.
· You don’t get dedicated insert or delete keys.
9. The Best Minimal design – ANNE PRO 2, 60% Wired/Wireless Mechanical Keyboard
The compact design allows you to access all the keys perfectly with lesser hand movements. Moreover, this minimal design saves a lot of your desk space and makes it really easy to carry around.
Also, the keyboard can fit easily in the backpack allowing you to use it anywhere on the go. You can get the Bluetooth connected to four different devices simultaneously and switch flawlessly.
The starter software makes it really easy for you to set up your won key layout lightning while creating macros. Furthermore, using the F1-F2 keys is not difficult with the magic “Fn” on the Caps Lock.
In brief, this is one of the best hot swappable keyboards available in the market at a reasonable price.
· Compact and minimal design.
· Easily Portable and can be used on the go.
· Revamped Obinskit starter software.
· The keys can disturb you if you start typing fast.
10. The Most Cool and Stylish One – LANGTU Membrane Gaming Keyboard
If you are looking for a cool designed mechanical keyboard, Langtu Membrane Keyboard can be a good choice for you. This sturdy keyboard is made with Aluminum alloy metal that gives you a smooth keyboard texture. Moreover, the water-resistant function allows you to enjoy your drink anytime while working.
Most people have claimed that the keys are extremely soft to touch, and they offer a really precise keystroke that makes them ideal for gaming. According to the manufacturer, these keys can last up to 5,000,000 clicks.
Now, the compact scientific stair-step keycap design allows you to save desk space as well as reach all the keys perfectly. Also, you can easily win your games with a variety of key combinations, thanks to the 25 keys anti-ghosting technology.
· Attractive Rainbow Backlight.
· Soft and Responsive keys.
· The Anti-ghosting keys technology
· Robust Suitability.
· The keys can be a little squeaky.
11. The Most lightweight design – MOTOSPEED Wired/Wireless 3.0 Mechanical Keyboard
This one is the most lightweight hot-swappable mechanical keyboard on our list. This Motospeed keyboard is small in size and features an ultra-thin layout. With the 61 handy keys, you can customize the model any way you want while also winning your games subsequently.
1300 mah battery offers you 10 hours of tireless service under regular usage. You also get a standby time of 480 hours, which means the lifespan in a single charge. Moreover, you can conserve the battery power anytime with the on/off switch it comes with.
Besides its desk-saving compact, ergonomic design, this model is extremely sturdy, thanks to its durable ABS construction. You can be assured that the plate-mounted mechanical keys and switches will give you a long time of service while offering you a nice customizable layout.
This keyboard has one of the hot-swappable switches you can find!
· Versatile service and dual connectivity.
· Prolonged Bluetooth and a high-powered battery.
· Made with high-quality material and ensures a reliable performance.
· Really strong compatibility.
· The keys are not very suitable for fast movement.
12. The Best Design Winner – Vulcan Pro Optical RGB Gaming Keyboard
When you are checking out the best-designed award-winning hot-swappable keyboard, you are bound to get curious about what’s so best? Well, the main thing might the introduction of ROCCAT’s Titan switch optical!
This optical offers the speed of light to ensure a high level of responsiveness. With a signature style for the mechanical keyboards, you get everything you need with this keyboard.
Since the optical switches function without any contact, they can prevent rust quite easily. Hence, you get great longevity out of this keyboard. The manufacturers claim that the switches can double their lifecycle to 100 keystrokes.
Furthermore, the keyboard features transparent switch housing, which lets the AIMO shine brighter than usual when used with other AIMO devices.
· Extremely stylish, easy to use design.
· Offers great longevity.
· AIMO intelligent lighting engine.
· A detachable palm rests.
· The optical red switches might not be the perfect choice for typing.
What is a Hot Swappable Keyboard?
Now, how often have you wished to switch between the switches the way you like? To satisfy you in this case, Hot-swappable keyboards contain PCB with special sockets for you to swap the switches without needing to use a soldering gun. Hence, saving your time from desoldering.
With this addition, you can easily install a lot of different switches into the keyboard and swap them in any way you like.
What are the benefits?
The main benefit of the Hot-swappable mechanical keyboard is that you can change the switches any way you want without soldering or desoldering. In most cases, typists and gamers really prefer this type of keyboard.
Moreover, these are really easy to install and use with your own customized switches. So, if you are a beginner, you will surely find this one a lot beneficial. Here are some of the reasons for you to consider a hot-swappable keyboard:
- You can easily replace any switch in case it has a problem like key chatter or not registering.
- The switches can be arranged in any way you like making your keyboard look unique.
- You can easily modify the keyboard stabilizers to get more improved and strong sound
- Lubing the switches is easily accessible.
- You can easily modify the keyboard stabilizers to get more improved and strong sound.
- You can also get a plateless keyboard and then solder the switches directly into the PCB.
You must have guessed by now that a keyboard’s modification options get fewer when they don’t have hot-swap sockets.
Do I need a Hotswap Keyboard?
Hotswap keyboards are best for those people who have absolutely no idea how to solder but would like to have a customized keyboard. You can say that it’s basically easy, repairment. But if you can solder perfectly and have no problem in doing that to change the keys, regular keyboards are also good for you.
How to Choose the Best Hot Swappable Keyboard:
You should know that, unlike regular ones, hot-swappable keyboards are not very common, and there is only a limited number available in the market. But that certainly doesn’t mean that you will just buy any of these and start working.
They might be fewer in number, but not all of them are made with high-quality materials and provide you with a high-quality service. So, you will have to know how to choose the best hot swap keyboard one among these:
Layout: You will get to choose from a number of layout options when you are looking for mechanical keyboards. Some of them are 60% compact, 75% compact, tenkeyless, and full. You will see that the tenkeyless and 75% design have most of the same keys, except for the Numpad.
While 60% of boards are the cheapest available, they lack a lot of keys due to their compact design. So, you need to decide which one of these will work out the best for you.
Switch Compatibility: You should check if the keyboards are suitable for any MX-style switch.
Build Quality: Since these hot-swappable keyboards are not very cheap, you should make sure that you got e high-quality manufacturing in your one. So, check the product carefully before buying to ensure that the quality is worth the price you are paying.
For instance, double shot keycaps are better when it comes to durability. You can also use ABS or PBT plastics, but the PBTs are generally costlier.
Additional Features: Since most of these mechanical keyboards can be customized, people often prefer to have some additional features with it to make it look unique. Like, adjustable kickstands can make your keyboard last longer, or macros and RGB lighting will add style to it.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do hot swappable keyboards work?
Ans: In general keyboards, you can’t change the switches without soldering or desoldering. A hot-swappable keyboard doesn’t have the PCB connected to the plate so that you can customize the keys any way you want without learning to solder.
2. What switches are hot swappable?
Ans: Usually, any switch or clone from the Cherry MX will work perfectly with a hot-swappable keyboard. So, it makes it easier and gives you a variety of options to test the different types of switches and match the actuation types.
3. Is hot-swappable good?
Ans: If you ask me, they are definitely worth it. You can switch anything and make your own customization to get a unique design at the end. Also, you don’t even have to go through the trouble of soldering! So, I think that these keyboards are good and you can totally give them a try.
Though all the models we mentioned above are excellent in their task and will offer you a strong long time service, we highly recommend the Drop ALT Mechanical Keyboard. This keyboard is not only stylish but also does an excellent job when it comes to typing and gaming.
But you can also look for the other ones in our list in case this one doesn’t come into your budget.
So, there go the top 12 best hot swappable keyboards you can find in the market. All of the products we mentioned above are fast and will ensure a smooth typing experience for you.
Though most of these are really tempting to buy, you shouldn’t just throw your money at the first one you see and then regret it later when it doesn’t fulfill your requirements. So, take guidance from our buyer’s guide to know about the things you should keep in mind while choosing a hot-swappable keyboard.
I sincerely this article had everything that you were looking for, and it helped you to choose the best one for yourself.