I was sitting in class, AirPods in my ears, and suddenly, I heard the sound of my phone ringing. I took out one AirPod to see if it was indeed my phone making the noise, and sure enough, the sound was coming from my phone.
I tried to reconnect the AirPod to no avail; it seemed like it was permanently disconnected from my phone. Has this ever happened to you? If so, keep reading for a possible solution.
Why Are My AirPods Connected But Sound Is Playing From The Phone?
There are ten reasons why your AirPods might be connected, but the sound is playing from the phone:
- The AirPods are not charged enough.
- The AirPods are not paired with the iPhone.
- The AirPods are not connected to the iPhone.
- The iPhone is not connected to the internet.
- The iPhone is not connected to the AirPods.
- The iPhone is not playing the audio.
- The AirPods are muted.
- The AirPods are not in your ears.
- The audio is playing on the wrong device.
- There is a problem with the AirPods.
How To Fix If The AirPods Is Connected, But Sound Is Coming From The Phone?
1. Charge The AirPods
If the AirPods is connected, but the sound is coming from the phone, it could be because the battery needs to be charged.
- To charge the AirPods, put them in the charging case and plug them into a power source. If the indicator light on the case is red, the AirPods are charging.
- Once the indicator light turns white, that means the AirPods are fully charged. It usually takes about 15 minutes to charge the AirPods.
2. Restart your iPhone
If you find that your AirPods are connected to your iPhone, but the sound is coming from the phone, you may need to restart your iPhone.
- Hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears.
- Once your iPhone has restarted, try to connect your AirPods again and see if the sound is coming from them.
- If you still can’t get the sound from your AirPods, you may need to reset them.
3. Reset the AirPods
When the AirPods are connected, but the sound is coming from the phone, it could be that the AirPods are not set as the audio output device.
- To fix this, go to the “Bluetooth” settings on your phone and make sure that the AirPods are selected as the audio output device.
- If the sound still doesn’t come through the AirPods, then resetting them may fix the problem.
- To reset the AirPods, press and hold the setup button on the back of the case for about 15 seconds.
- The case’s status light should flash white, then amber, indicating that the AirPods have been reset and are ready to be reconnected to your phone.
4. Reset your Bluetooth
You have connected the AirPods to your iPhone, but the sound is coming from the phone; you may need to reset your Bluetooth connection.
To do this,
- Go to the Settings App on your iPhone
- Then tap BluetoothThen, rap the “I” next to your AirPods in the list of devices.
- Tap “Forget This Device,”
- Then try reconnecting your AirPods.
If that doesn’t work, you can also try restarting your iPhone or AirPods. If you still can’t get the sound from your AirPods, you may need to contact Apple for support.
5. Update the iPhone Software
If you are using AirPods and the sound is coming from your iPhone instead of the AirPods, you may need to update the iPhone software.
- Open the Settings App
- Tap “General“
- Tap “Software Update“
- If an update is available, tap “Download and Install.”
- Once the update has been downloaded, tap “Install Now.”
- Enter your passcode if prompted
- The iPhone will now update, and the sound should come from the AirPods when connected.
6. Update Bluetooth Drivers
If you have updated your iPhone to the latest iOS version and are still having audio issues, it may be time to update your Bluetooth drivers. There are a few ways to do this, but the most straightforward way is to use the Device Manager.
To update your Bluetooth drivers:
- Click the Start button, then type “Device Manager” into the search box.
- Locate your Bluetooth device in the list of devices and expand the drop-down menu next to it.
- Click “Update Driver Software.”
- If prompted to, choose “Search automatically for updated driver software.”
Once you’ve updated your Bluetooth drivers, check to see if the issue has been resolved.
7. Check out the App’s Permissions
To use the App, you will need to allow it to access your Location. The App will also require your device’s microphone access to work properly.
If you do not want to allow the App to access your Location or microphone, you can still use the App, but you will need to manually select your AirPods from the list of devices in the App.
Check out the App’s Permissions when The AirPods are connected, but the sound is coming from the phone.
8. Clean The AirPods
If the sound is coming from the phone even when the AirPods are connected, there may be something wrong with the connection between the AirPods and the phone. The first thing to try is to clean the AirPods.
- To clean your AirPods Pro, start by removing the Ear Tip that is attached to each earbud.
- Then, use a dry, soft, lint-free cloth to wipe the mesh on each earbud.
- Be sure to avoid getting moisture in any openings.
- After you’re done cleaning the earbuds, reattach the Ear Tips.
- If you need to clean the microphone or speaker mesh, use a soft, dry toothbrush.
- Don’t use sharp objects or abrasive materials to clean your AirPods or case.
9. Remove Audio Balance
If your AirPods are connected but now playing audio from only one side, it may be because the balance is slightly off.
- To fix this, go to your iPhone’s settings and navigate to the “Music” tab.
- Once there, scroll down to the “Playback” section and find the “Balance” slider.
- Drag the slider to the center position to even out the sound.
- If that doesn’t work, try restarting your AirPods by placing them back in the case and waiting a few seconds.
- You can also try resetting your AirPods by holding the setup button on the back of the case for 10 seconds.
- If none of these solutions work, there may be a problem with your AirPods or the charging case.
10. Turn off Automatic Ear Detection
When your AirPods are connected to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, they know when you’re wearing them and play sound accordingly. You can turn off this automatic ear detection feature so that your AirPods play sound even when you’re not wearing them.
- Open the Settings App on your iOS device.
- Tap Bluetooth.
- Tap the “I” next to your AirPods in the list of devices.
4. Tap the switch next to “Ear Detection” so it’s no longer green.
Now your AirPods will play sound even when you’re not wearing them. Remember to turn this feature back on if you want your AirPods to pause when you take them out automatically.
11. Select AirPods as The Output Device
- Open the Settings App on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Tap Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.
- If you can’t find your AirPods, make sure that they are charged and paired with your iOS device.
- Tap the name of your AirPods in the Devices list.
- Tap the info button next to your AirPods, then tap and hold the Microphone button.
- While you hold the Microphone button, speak into the microphone on your AirPods.
- You should see the volume indicator on your iOS device move as you speak.
If you don’t see the volume indicator, or if the volume indicator doesn’t move, ensure that your AirPods are selected as the Output Device.
- Tap Settings > Sounds.
- Tap Output.
- Tap your AirPods in the Devices list.
How To Fix If The Airpods Connected But No Sound In One Ear?
If you are having trouble with one of your AirPods not playing any sound, there could be a few different reasons for this. Here are a few things to try that may fix the issue:
- Ensure that both AirPods are in their charging case and that the case has enough charge to power them.
- If you are using one Airpods at a time, ensure that the other AirPods are also in their charging case.
- Check the volume on your device and ensure it is turned up.
- If you are using an iPhone, make sure that the mute switch is not turned on.
- Go to the Settings App and make sure that the “Do Not Disturb” feature is not turned on.
- Restart your device and try again.
Reasons For My Airpods Not Connecting
There are a few reasons your AirPods might not be connecting. Here are some troubleshooting tips:
-Make sure your AirPods are in their case and the case has power.
-Check the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and make sure that AirPods are selected as your audio output device.
-If you’re using an iPhone or iPod touch and have Siri turned on, make sure that Hey Siri is off. You can turn it off in Settings > Siri & Search.
-Try resetting your AirPods:
- Put your AirPods in their case—lid open.
- Wait at least 30 seconds.
- Press and hold the setup button on the back of the case for about 15 seconds until you see the status light flashing amber
-If your AirPods still aren’t connecting, try restarting your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
-If you’re still having trouble, contact Apple Support.
Why Do My AirPods Say Connected But Not Connected?
There are a few reasons why your Airpods might say they’re connected but not be connected. The most common reason is that the Airpods are not properly paired with your device.
To pair your Airpods with your device, ensure that both your Airpods and your device are turned on and in range of each other. Then, open the lid of the Airpods case and hold it close to your device.
A popup should appear on your device’s screen asking if you want to connect the two devices. Tap “Connect” and follow the instructions on your screen.
If you don’t see the popup, or if you see a message saying that your Airpods can’t be connected, make sure that your AirPods are charged and in range of your device, and then try again.
Another reason your Airpods might say they’re connected but not be connected is that one of the Airpods is not working properly.
To check if this is the case, try using only one Airpod at a time. If only one Airpod works, then you know the other Airpod is the problem.
More Questions & Answers
Why are my AirPods showing connected but not working?
Turn off and then back on your phone’s Bluetooth if the sound is coming from the phone even while the AirPods are connected. Forget this device in the Bluetooth settings if that doesn’t work. To re-pair, your AirPods, open the case and press and hold the button on the rear for 10 seconds.
Why can’t people hear me on my AirPods?
A filthy microphone in your AirPods might be why callers can’t hear you. The microphone grills on the underside of each Airpods may be cleaned with a q-tip sprayed with 70% isopropyl alcohol to see if that helps.
Why did my AirPods mic stop working?
If your AirPods are low on battery, they may not be able to power the microphone. Just open the cover and bring it next to your iPhone to see how much juice is left in your AirPods. Low battery levels might cause the microphone to stop working.
How do I know if my Airpods are broken?
Verify that each Airpods is charged by checking the battery life of your iPhone or iPad. Wear both AirPods at once for maximum sound quality. Try out both AirPods by playing some audio. You may reset your AirPods or get in touch with Apple Support if one of your headphones is still malfunctioning.
How do I reset my AirPods microphone?
Please place them in their Smart Case or charging case first. The charging case’s status indicator will become amber when you press and hold the Status button (or the AirPods Max’s Noise Control button and Digital Crown). With that, you have successfully reset them.
How do I test my AirPods microphone?
Connect your AirPods to your mobile device, launch a sound recording app, and try out the microphone in a variety of situations, including speaking loudly and softly. This allows you to test the functionality of your AirPods.
Are the AirPods waterproof?
First things first: AirPods are not water-resistant. Do not invite them to a pool party. You shouldn’t wear them when working up a sweat at the gym or going for a stroll in the rain (unless you have an umbrella, of course).
Where is the AirPods MIC located?
Contrary to popular belief, each pair of AirPods has two separate microphones. Both in the earpiece and at the very tip of the stem. Whether you’re making a call or utilizing Siri, you’ll want to utilize the microphone at the end of the stem. When you put it up to your lips, it picks up the sound of your voice.
How Do I Reconnect Airpods After Forgetting Device?
If you have forgotten the device that your AirPods are paired with, don’t worry! You can easily reconnect them by following these simple steps:
- First, ensure that your AirPods are in their charging case and that the case is charged.
- Open the charging case’s lid and hold it close to your iPhone.
- A popup window on your iPhone asking if you want to connect the AirPods to your device. Tap on “Connect.”
- That’s it! Your AirPods are now reconnected to your iPhone. Enjoy!
I’m a Full-Time Writer for Tipsmotion. I spend all my time editing, designing, and gathering new ideas in this field. I try to reach out to different social media and community websites to research common problems. I pick a topic that I resolved before by myself. From my past experience, I start writing articles and publishing them on the Tipsmotion website.